In 1894, Morrill Chapel School was built on the corner of what is now Greenwood and East Sayers. The school was named after Captain DavidMorrill Poor, who donated the land for the building. He and his wifebuilt the first school in the Harlandale district. The building servedas a school and chapel for Sunday services. Miss Annie Work was thefirst teacher, and she earned $25 a month. She had 11 students enrolledin her class. Because Morrill was the first school built inHarlandale, Morrill is considered "the Cradle of Harlandale."
Theschool was moved across the street to its present location on thecorner of Sayers and Flores in 1829. This building was used through thespring of 2001. The school was housed in a temporary location untilthe opening of the new school in the fall of 2003.
Morrillearned the title of "Recognized" from the state 4 years starting in 1997. Following this, the school achieved the "Exemplary" level the following 2 years, and holds this distinction now. In the fall of 2003, Morrill received the honor of being named a "National Blue Ribbon School", which is awarded to only the top one percent of schools in the nation. In addition to these academic awards, the Morrill Safety Patrols have consistently earned the Outstanding Safety Patrol Award for a total of 30 years.